Saturday, April 23, 2011

"Thats not hijab!"





Okay.. so I know we are not the ones supposed to be judging however I really feel that someone should point this out as it's something I am seeing more and more lately. There is a certain camisole style of tank top shirts and spaghetti strapped blouses and dresses that literally seems to outline the bosom. The picture shows what I'm talking about. Now don't get me wrong, I know this style isn't exactly new! However seeing this style being worn by Muslim "hijab" girls is new to me.




I have noticed lately a lot of girls wearing this style of shirt or dress very tight over a long sleeved shirt. Like I've said before.. just because your skin is covered doesn't mean you are hijab appropriate. Our clothes should be loose enough to hide our curves and the line of our feminine body. A sister wearing super tight clothes is bad enough but then when she wears a dress or top that literally seems to draw an outline around her breasts? To me, that's super bad!




These tops and dresses were designed to bring attention to the breasts and draw the eye to that area.. period. We probably don't need to be wearing this style of top.. no matter how loose or what you layer underneath it. To me this style makes the chest as conspicuous as literally drawing a big circle around the bosom!




Sisters.. there are many cute alternatives that would look much more appropriate and equally cute. I don't have any problem whatsoever with layering tank tops and spaghetti strapped dresses without this bosom detailing or styling over long sleeved shirts. There are plenty out there!





We all know "that they should draw their khimar over their bosoms and not display their beauty..". The Qur'an makes it very clear that we are to cover that area.. it makes it clear we are to cover all the other areas too but it goes out of the way to really emphasize the the breasts in particular should be concealed. We all know deep down that a shirt or dress that brings attention to the the breasts in such a blatant outlining way is not okay and would not please.




To the sisters who have worn this style.. take no offence. We live we learn we grow. I am not your judge. This is simply my opinion. I'd love read the opinion of others. If you do own clothes like these perhaps you could get some more modest use out of them by wearing your hijab especially long so that it comes past the chest and you can not see this area or you could wear a tying or buttoning sweater that would completely hide that area or you could try a long shawl etc. Be creative!